Onja is a social enterprise training underprivileged youth into world-class software developers.
When our first cohort began in January 2019, students could barely speak English nor use a computer. After three years they are advanced English speakers and working remotely as software developers in European and US tech teams.
Rather than low paid menial work, students have begun exciting careers and are thrilled to support their families, pay-forward the opportunity to more students, and accelerate the development of their nation (see ‘How Onja Works’ below).
Onja is located in Mahanoro, a quiet beach town on Madagascar’s East Coast. The campus has the feel of a nature retreat: on the outskirts of town, on the beach, and surrounded by nature, while the town has several nice restaurants and everything you need to be comfortable.
Our small team is very united, committed to the mission and hardworking but we also maintain a relaxed and peaceful atmosphere that you’ll find everywhere in Madagascar :).
About this Role
Our first cohort contains 19 developers and we plan to train hundreds of students in the coming years. In order to do this, we need to communicate more widely, attract financial support, and a talented team. To help achieve this, we wish to invite someone onto our team to lead our public relations and communications. We have a compelling and powerful story and now need help to tell it to the world.
Your responsibilities are likely to include:
- Helping plan and put in place Onja’s public relations and marketing strategy
- Managing Messaging for our social enterprise
- Press pitches & releases
- Building relationships with media etc
- Manage a website redesign and rebuild (design or coding skills not required)
- Social media content. In particular collaborating with our partners (companies that hire our developers) to create shared releases
- Growing email subscriber list
- Email campaigns
- Photography and perhaps video making
- Monitoring and evaluating the results of our public relations activities and continuous improvement of our strategy.
- We are a start up social enterprise so expect a broad scope, and a fast changing environment.
This is a pivotal role for Onja at this exciting time. We are poised to grow fast and our dream is to train thousands of new students each year. You will be setting the foundations not just for this first cohort but the waves of youth that will follow in future years.
- Public relations or other relevant experience is preferred however a willingness to learn and grow in the role is most important to us.
- Experience or interest in social enterprise will be highly beneficial
- A twelve-month commitment
- Excellent English communication skills
- Willingness to learn a little around the tech world and front end web development in particular.
- Photography and or videography skills would be a bonus
- Strong writing ability
- You’ll join our tight-knit, committed team in Mahanoro, Madagascar.
- We know it’s a big move so we will look after you and make sure you are secure and settled.
- We’ll provide secure, comfortable, beachfront accommodation and food.
- We are able to offer a good local salary – enough to live comfortably and have plenty left over for holidays travels.
- 40 days of annual leave
- We also offer 25% remote work, for when you are keen to get some city vibes in Madagascar.
- You will enjoy a truly Malagasy experience. Mahanoro is far from the tourist trail and our team is predominantly Malagasy. We’ll provide optional weekly lessons to bring you up to speed with the language.
- Your visa will be sponsored.
- Sponsored flights
We are ready for you now but generally allow for two to three months from the time the contract is signed.
How Onja Works
Onja is a social enterprise with a sustainable model:
- Search for brilliant minds who would otherwise be limited to low-paid, unfulfilling careers.
- Students receive two years of English and software development instruction. Meet a developer here: https://onja.org/student/manjaka/
- Graduates earn (and continue learning) at our outsourcing enterprise.
- All profits are used to train the next wave of students and the cycle begins again.
- Apply – Please send a message to Sam at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you use LinkedIn, please include a link to your profile.
- Introductory call – We’ll provide you with a list of FAQs and a photo gallery and invite you to a call to learn about Onja and Madagascar in general. It’s a chance for you to ask all the questions you have.
- Formal Interview – This is where we have questions for you. We try to determine whether you will be a nice fit for the position and our team. There may be one or two interviews.
- We offer conversations with past and present staff members, and Onja developers and a video tour of our campus.
- We make a formal offer to successful applicants.
If you like what we are doing, but don’t think you are suitable for this position, please reach out to us nonetheless – we may just have something for you.
We hope this statement, from Kirsten who worked with us as an English Teacher, gives you an idea of what it may be like to join our team: “Working at Onja was an experience of a lifetime. Teaching such talented and highly motivated students was a pleasure and very rewarding. I felt very much at home at Onja and it was an honour to be part of such a beautiful initiative, which I am sure will create life-changing opportunities for new Malagasy students in the years to come”.