We’re training some of Madagascar’s most talented and inspiring students who would otherwise be limited to low-paying unfulfilling jobs. Click here to meet a student.
Nearing the completion of their training, many students are approaching the most anticipated step in their journey: starting careers as software developers. They are excited to support their families, pay-forward the opportunity to more students (see ‘How Onja Works’ below), and accelerate the development of their nation.
Your mission, as the Marketing lead, is to help land graduates work as remote software developers and attract support for Onja’s future growth – likely through a combination of B2B marketing and directly applying for open positions. Our team has so many compelling stories to tell and a distinctly effective and scalable mission yet we have done very little marketing. So the potential impact of this position is huge.
Onja is located in Mahanoro, a peaceful beach town on Madagascar’s East Coast. It has the feel of a nature retreat: a little out of town, on the beach, and surrounded by beautiful forest. Despite the serenity, the campus has a fibre internet connection. Our small team is very united, committed to the mission and hardworking but we somehow also maintain a relaxed and peaceful atmosphere that you’ll find everywhere in Madagascar :).
We hope this statement, from Kirsten who worked with us for eight months, gives you an idea of what it may be like to join our team: “Working as a volunteer at Onja was an experience of a lifetime. Teaching such talented and highly motivated students was a pleasure and very rewarding. I felt very much at home at Onja and it was an honour to be part of such a beautiful initiative, which I am sure will create life-changing opportunities for new Malagasy students in the years to come.”
How Onja Works
Onja is a non-profit social enterprise with a three-step sustainable model:
- Identify brilliant and diligent young people who would otherwise be limited to low-paid, unfulfilling careers.
- Students study English and Software development in a two-year programme.
- Graduates earn (and continue learning) working in our outsourcing enterprise. All profits are used to train the next wave of students and the cycle begins again.
- You’ll join our tight-knit, committed team in Mahanoro, Madagascar.
- We know it’s a big move so we will look after you and make sure you are secure and settled.
- We’ll provide secure, comfortable accommodation next to the beach and food.
- We are able to offer a good local salary – enough to live comfortably and have plenty left over for weekend trips!
- You will enjoy a truly Malagasy experience. Mahanoro is far from the tourist trail and our team is predominantly Malagasy. We’ll provide lessons to bring you up to speed with the language.
- Your visa will be sponsored
- Sponsored flights depending on commitment duration.
- We have a wonderful little team and we are predominantly a Malagasy organisation located fairly rurally. Most importantly we try to assess whether our team would be a good fit for your character and personality.
- A twelve-month commitment would be most preferable however we can consider other durations
- Good writing skills
- Willingness to learn a little around the tech world and front end web development in particular.
- Previous B2B marketing experience would be helpful but not a concrete requirement
- Likewise, Photography and or videography skills might help too.
- We are a start-up and you’ll be the first marketing professional to join us so expect a broad scope, and a fast-changing environment.
You’ll probably be
- Helping plan Onja’s marketing strategy
- Finding open software development positions and applying for Onja graduates
- Identifying and approaching companies that may be interested in Onja developers.
- Growing email subscriber list
- Email campaigns
- Photography and perhaps video making
- Social media content
- Perhaps manage a website redesign and rebuild (design or coding skills not required)
- Analysis of what works and what doesn’t. Continuous improvement of our marketing strategies.
Deciding to move to Madagascar for a year or more can seem daunting, especially for an inexperienced traveller. Our application process will help you learn more about the role, Onja and Madagascar.
- Introductory call with an Onja team member. This is mainly for you to meet one of the team, and to learn more about Onja and Madagascar in general. It’s a chance for you to ask any questions you might have.
- We’ll provide you with a list of FAQs and a photo gallery so you know what to expect
- Formal Interview – This is where we have questions for you. We try to determine whether you will be a nice fit for the position and our team. There may be one or two interviews.
- We offer conversations with past and present staff members, Onja developers and a video tour of our campus
- We make a formal offer to successful applicants
How to apply
To apply, or learn more about the position, please send a message to Sam at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you use LinkedIn, please include a link to your profile.