We’re Hiring – Marketing Lead
We’re training some of Madagascar’s most talented and inspiring students who couldn’t afford a complete education and whose talent would otherwise have been wasted in low-paying unfulfilling jobs.
Nearing the completion of their training, students are approaching the most anticipated step in their journey: beginning careers as software developers. Click here to meet a student.
With your help they will have amazing futures – they’ll begin exciting careers that will open them up to a whole new world of opportunities. They’ll be able to support themselves, their families and pay-forward the opportunity to more students (see ‘How Onja Works’ below).
Your mission, as the Marketing lead, is to help our organisation attract clients that will hire our developers to work in their software development teams remotely (we will operate an outstaffing model). Additionally, you’ll raise awareness of our organisation to unlock opportunities to help our organisation scale rapidly and thus bring true opportunity to a huge number of young people.
Onja is located in Mahanoro, a peaceful beach town on Madagascar’s East Coast. It has the feel of a nature retreat: a little out of town, on the beach, and surrounded by beautiful forest. You will be relieved to know that despite the serenity the school has a decent internet connection.
We hope this statement, from Kirsten who volunteered with us for eight months, gives you an idea of what it may be like to join our team: “Working as a volunteer at Onja was an experience of a lifetime. Teaching such talented and highly motivated students was a pleasure and very rewarding. I felt very much at home at Onja and it was an honour to be part of such a beautiful initiative, which I am sure will create life changing opportunities for new Malagasy students in the years to come”.
How Onja Works
Onja is a non-profit social-enterprise with a three-step sustainable model:
- Search for brilliant minds who would otherwise be limited to low-paid, unfulfilling careers.
- Students receive two years of English and software development instruction.
- Graduates earn (and continue learning) at our outsourcing enterprise. All profits are used to train the next wave of students and the cycle begins again.
- You’ll join our tight-knit, committed team in Mahanoro, Madagascar.
- We know it’s a big move so we will look after you and make sure you are secure and settled.
- We’ll provide secure, comfortable, beachfront accommodation and food.
- We are able to offer a good local salary – enough to live comfortably and have plenty left over for weekend trips!
- You will enjoy a truly Malagasy experience. Mahanoro is far from the tourist trail and our team is predominantly Malagasy. We’ll provide optional weekly lessons to bring you up to speed with the language.
- Your visa will be sponsored.
- Sponsored flights depending on commitment duration.
- A twelve month commitment would be most preferable however we can consider shorter durations.
- Strong writing skills
- Photography and or videography skills would be a bonus
- Tech/software knowledge would also be a bonus
- As a startup you’ll be our first marketing hire so expect a broad scope and be ready to experiment and learn new things
- Refinement of marketing strategy and plan
- Content creation – articles, posts, photos, video etc
- Working to get published
- Managing Social media channels
- Analysis and optimization of marketing channels
- Approaching potential clients directly to generate leads
We are aiming to have you with us in early 2021. Note that the visa process usually takes two months to complete.
How to apply
To apply, or learn more about the position, please send a message to Sam at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you use LinkedIn, please include a link to your profile.