Onja is a social enterprise training underprivileged youth into world-class software developers.
When our first cohort began in January 2019, students could barely speak English or use a computer. After two-and-a-half years they became advanced English speakers and began working remotely as software developers in European and US tech teams.
Rather than low-paid menial work, students have begun exciting careers and are thrilled to support their families, pay-forward the opportunity to more students, and accelerate the development of their nation (see ‘How Onja Works’ below).
Onja is located in Toamasina, a lively city with beautiful beaches, nice restaurants, and with plenty to do and see. Toamasina is Madagascar’s second largest city (population 300,000) yet is surrounded by plenty of natural beauty, and even has a national park nearby.
Our small team is very united, committed to the mission, and hardworking, but we also maintain a relaxed and peaceful atmosphere that you’ll find everywhere in Madagascar.
About the Hiring Lead position
With an immensely successful first cohort, and a proven social model, our next step is to scale our impact. Currently our highest priority is hiring: in order to scale our organisation we need to grow our team with capable and committed team members capable of pulling off the rapid growth.
Your mission as our Hiring Lead is to help attract and hire the skilled and committed people we need to make this growth a reality! You will be working closely with our Founder/CEO and Malgasy Hiring Officer.
Your responsibilities are likely to include:
- Attraction – Implementing novel ideas to increase our reach and attract more suitable applicants
- Conducting interviews and introductory calls
- Screening candidates
- Improving our hiring systems and processes
- Working with our founder/CEO to evaluate team member performance and use that to shape our screening process.
This is a pivotal role for Onja at this exciting time. We are poised to grow fast and our dream is to train thousands of new students each year. You will be setting the foundations not just for this first cohort but the waves of youth that will follow in future years.
- Strong social skills
- Extremely high English and international communication skills.
- C1 level English or ideally higher
- Very good pronunciation and speech
How Onja Works
Onja is a social enterprise with a sustainable model:
- Search for brilliant minds who would otherwise be limited to low-paid, unfulfilling careers.
- Students receive two years of English and software development instruction. Meet a developer here: https://onja.org/student/manjaka/
- Graduates earn (and continue learning) at our outsourcing enterprise.
- All profits are used to train the next wave of students and the cycle begins again.
Please send a message to our team at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you use LinkedIn, please include a link to your profile or attach a CV. If you wish, you are very welcome to attach any other information that could help us know you better. Sometimes people share videos, achievements, transcripts, articles or blogs and these are much appreciated.