Onja is a non profit social enterprise that trains highly talented yet underprivileged youth into world-class software developers.
Our first cohort began studying in January 2019. At the time our students could barely speak English and most had not touched a computer before. After three years (and a lot of hard work) most are now advanced English speakers and working remotely as software developers in European tech teams.
These students who would have been limited to low paid menial work are now starting exciting careers and can now support themselves, their families and contribute to the development of their nation by paying-forward the opportunity to future students (see ‘How Onja Works’ below). Meet a developer here: https://onja.org/student/manjaka/
We are now essentially opening a software enterprise with 20 developers. Your mission is to develop and grow this young enterprise.
We see this role including
- Refining commercial strategy for the enterprise, both short and long term
- Managing our client acquisition team, responsible for attracting new clients and finding long term placements for twenty developers
- Handling client interactions
- And if there is time left over you might be able to mentor developers on professionalism, communication or interview training.
This is a very important role for our organisation. We are poised to grow fast and our dream is to train thousands of new students each year. So you will be setting the foundations not just for this first cohort but the waves of youth that will follow in future years.
Onja is located in Mahanoro, a peaceful beach town on Madagascar’s East Coast. The school has the feel of a nature retreat: on the outskirts of town, on the beach, and surrounded by beautiful forest, while the town has several nice restaurants and everything you need to be comfortable.
- A twelve month commitment would be most preferable
- Leadership experience
- Commercial acumen
- Strong communication skills
- It would help if you’ve worked in the software industry but is not essential.
- You’ll join our tight-knit, committed team in Mahanoro, Madagascar.
- We know it’s a big move so we will look after you and make sure you are secure and settled.
- We’ll provide secure, comfortable, beachfront accommodation and food.
- We are able to offer a good monthly stipend – enough to live comfortably and have plenty left over for holidays travels.
- Two weeks holiday every three months.
- You will enjoy a truly Malagasy experience. Mahanoro is far from the tourist trail and our team is predominantly Malagasy. We’ll provide optional weekly lessons to bring you up to speed with the language.
- Your visa will be sponsored.
- Sponsored flights depending on commitment duration.
We are ready for you now, however often people like time to prepare so we try to allow for three months from the time the contract is signed.
How Onja Works
Onja is a non-profit social-enterprise with a sustainable model:
- Search for brilliant minds who would otherwise be limited to low-paid, unfulfilling careers.
- Students receive two years of English and software development instruction.
- Graduates earn (and continue learning) at our outsourcing enterprise.
- All profits are used to train the next wave of students and the cycle begins again.
Deciding to move to Madagascar for a year or more can seem daunting, especially for an inexperienced traveller. Our application process will help you learn more about the role, Onja and Madagascar.
- Introductory call with an Onja team member. This is mainly for you to meet one of the team, and to learn more about Onja and Madagascar in general. It’s a chance for you to ask any questions you might have.
- We’ll provide you with a list of FAQs and a photo gallery so you know what to expect
- Formal Interview – This is where we have questions for you. We try to determine whether you will be a nice fit for the position and our team. There may be one or two interviews.
- We offer conversations with past and present staff members, Onja developers and a video tour of our campus
- We make an formal offer to successful applicants
How to apply
To apply, please send a message to Sam at email@example.com. If you use LinkedIn, please include a link to your profile.