Onja is a non-profit social enterprise that trains underprivileged youth into world-class software developers.
When our first cohort began in January 2019, students could barely speak English nor use a computer. After three years most are now advanced English speakers and working remotely as software developers in European tech teams.
Instead of low paid menial work students are beginning exciting careers to support themselves, their families while contributing to the development of their nation (see ‘How Onja Works’ below).
Onja is located in Mahanoro, a peaceful beach town on Madagascar’s East Coast. The campus has the feel of a nature retreat: on the outskirts of town, on the beach, and surrounded by beautiful forest, while the town has several nice restaurants and everything you need to be comfortable.
About the Growth Manager Role
We are now essentially opening a software enterprise with 20 developers. Your mission is to develop and grow this young enterprise.
Your responsibilities include:
- Refining commercial strategy for the enterprise, both short and long term.
- Managing and growing our client acquisition team. This team is responsible for attracting new clients and finding long term placements for twenty developers. This is currently a team of three people but will likely need to expand.
- The role will involve working very closely with our founder and the first cohort of students/developers.
- Handling client interactions.
- Mentor developers on professionalism, communication or interview training.
This is a pivotal role for Onja at this exciting time. We are poised to grow fast and our dream is to train thousands of new students each year. You will be setting the foundations not just for this first cohort but the waves of youth that will follow in future years.
- A twelve-month commitment is preferred
- Leadership experience
- Commercial acumen
- Strong communication skills
- Experience in the software industry would help but is not essential
- You’ll join our tight-knit, committed team in Mahanoro, Madagascar.
- We know it’s a big move so we will look after you and make sure you are secure and settled.
- We’ll provide secure, comfortable, beachfront accommodation and food.
- We are able to offer a good monthly stipend – enough to live comfortably and have plenty left over for holidays travels.
- Two weeks holiday every three months.
- You will enjoy a truly Malagasy experience. Mahanoro is far from the tourist trail and our team is predominantly Malagasy. We’ll provide optional weekly lessons to bring you up to speed with the language.
- Your visa will be sponsored.
- Sponsored flights depending on commitment duration.
We are ready for you now, however often people like time to prepare so we try to allow for three months from the time the contract is signed.
How Onja Works
Onja is a non-profit social enterprise with a sustainable model:
- Search for brilliant minds who would otherwise be limited to low-paid, unfulfilling careers.
- Students receive two years of English and software development instruction. Meet a developer here: https://onja.org/student/manjaka/
- Graduates earn (and continue learning) at our outsourcing enterprise.
- All profits are used to train the next wave of students and the cycle begins again.
- Apply – Please send a message to Sam at email@example.com. If you use LinkedIn, please include a link to your profile.
- Introductory call – We’ll provide you with a list of FAQs and a photo gallery and invite you to a call to learn about Onja and Madagascar in general. It’s a chance for you to ask all the questions you have.
- Formal Interview – This is where we have questions for you. We try to determine whether you will be a nice fit for the position and our team. There may be one or two interviews.
- We offer conversations with past and present staff members, Onja developers and a video tour of our campus.
- We make a formal offer to successful applicants.
If you like what we are doing, but don’t think you are suitable for this position, please reach out to us nonetheless – we may just have something for you.