Do you want to have a job that is rewarding and has a tangible positive impact on others? Would you like to be part of the pioneering team of a fast growing social-enterprise? Are you proactive and like getting things done? Would you like to experience an English speaking, multicultural work environment?
Onja is a social enterprise, training talented underprivileged youth into world class software developers. We are searching for a Finance Lead to oversee a high growth stage of the organisation. The ideal candidate will be comfortable with numbers and be able to take responsibility for a wide range of areas.
Our first class was launched in 2019. Our students started with a very basic English level and managed to reach a fluent B2 and C1 level at the end of that same year. They began their software development training in 2020, a subject they were unacquainted with, and now many are ready to work. This incredible growth rate comes down to the talent, faith, heart and extreme commitment of our students and staff.
About the organisation
We believe in people’s potential, regardless of background. Our model inludes three distinctive steps:
- Recruit: We search for underprivileged youth with remarkable potential and drive, on a national level.
- Teach: Students study for about two years to become professional English speaking software developers.
- Enterprise: Graduating developers work remotely for companies. Profits generated feed back into the school to educate new students. And so the cycle begins again.
Onja is a unique organisation since it is funded by the brilliance of Malagasy youth, not foreign aid. This makes it scalable and sustainable and we believe gives the power to truly advance Madagascar.
Based in Mahanoro, our organisation attracts people from different backgrounds and nationalities. If you are looking to interact in a multicultural organisation and immerse yourself in a full-time English speaking environment, this could be a good place for you to thrive. We will make sure that your transition in this new environment will go smoothly. We are all living in secure accommodation, close to each other. Know that you won’t be alone in your journey with us, our team supports and cares for one another.
About the role
This position is a permanent contract. Your presence will be required for about 75% in Mahanoro and 25% in Antananarivo. You will be welcomed to join us for a 3 weeks observation period, prior to the conclusion of the contract.
The Finance Lead will play a critical role in leading Onja’s scale-up, with direct oversight of internal operations including areas such as Finance, management and special projects.
The successful candidate will join a dynamic, fast-paced team, and so aspects of the job description will evolve. A key attribute we are looking for is the ability to adapt and take on new challenges as they arise. The following list is not exhaustive, but should give a good indication of the responsibilities of the role:
- Accounting and producing financial reports, cash-flow statements and profit projections
- Establishing any pertinent documents to ensure that the organisation fulfills all the taxes obligations and the legal declaration
- Overseeing, reviewing, monitoring and managing, the organisation’s finance function, including budgeting, reporting, payroll, payments, and invoicing
- Working closely with the Director and the Head of finance to develop and execute short-term priorities and long-term strategies
- Interfacing between the organisation and the various stakeholders, mostly in terms of prospecting, negotiating and monitoring
- Streamlining our internal operations, with particular focus on improving our system and process
- Line managing the back office team, ensuring they are happy, challenged, and working effectively
- Taking responsibility for HR, including the organisation’s approach to recruitment and new staff on boarding, staff professional development, and shaping the team culture
In a nutshell, if you:
- are searching for a long term commitment within an organisation that is concretely doing some good
- are professional
- have , at least, a good knowledge of English, very good knowledge of French and Malagasy
- are comfortable with numbers
- have an interest in leadership
then consider applying to this role, we will be thrilled to hear from you.
How to apply:
Send us a message at email@example.com introducing yourself. If you use LinkedIn, please include a link to your profile.