Are you passionate about creating a positive change in your community? Would you like to be part of the pioneering team of a fast-growing social enterprise and experience an English-speaking, multicultural work environment? Are you proactive and like getting things done?
At Onja, we believe in the potential people have regardless of their background. We upskill underprivileged youth to work as software developers and allow Malagasy youth to accelerate Madagascar’s development.
Your mission as our English Officer will be to support the team in writing and editing high-quality text and articles.
The following list is not exhaustive, but should give a good indication of the responsibilities of the role:
- Supporting the wider team, especially internationals and the CEO in writing content or other tasks that require an advanced English level and producing high-quality products in a timely manner
- Writing clear and targeted marketing content for a marketing lead
- Collecting data and assisting the Growth team and others in reports, grant applications, and any other support materials writing
- Proofreading content for errors and inconsistencies
- Helping create style guides or suggesting changes to ensure content is consistent and clear (style, fonts, images, and tone) at Onja
- A large variety of miscellaneous projects and tasks that require an advanced English level.
- Any other task assigned by the supervisor
You will work 75% of the time with our tight-knit team in Toamasina where you’ll be accommodated and can have access to all the facilities you need in your day-to-day life. The 25% time remaining can be done remotely. Having international members from all over the world in the team, working at Onja means living in diversity where you can demonstrate your cultural understanding and sensitivity. So if you are looking to interact in a multicultural organization and immerse yourself in a full-time English-speaking environment, Onja could be the place for you to thrive.
We hope this statement from Mitantsoa Solofoniary gives you an idea of what it’s like to be part of the team: “For me, Onja is home. A unique place to work as it allows you to thrive personally and professionally. Always driven by the mission to give a good job opportunity to Malagasy Youth, everyone is an inspiration. The students’ dedication became my motivation to be a better teacher and Onja helped me discover my full potential. If you want to see education in action and know how deep the impact you make can be, Onja is definitely for you.”
How Onja Works
Onja is a social enterprise with a sustainable model:
- Search for brilliant minds who would otherwise be limited to low-paid, unfulfilling careers.
- Students receive two years of English and software development instruction. Meet a developer here: https://onja.org/student/manjaka/
- Graduates earn (and continue learning) at our outsourcing enterprise.
- All profits are used to train the next wave of students and the cycle begins again.
Onja is very unique as an organization as it is funded by the effort our Malagasy graduates make to pave a way for other students. We really embrace the belief that Madagascar’s potential to develop lies in its youth.
To apply, please send a message to our hiring team at firstname.lastname@example.org and attach your CV. If you use LinkedIn, please include a link to your profile.