Onja is a social enterprise training underprivileged youth into world-class software developers.
When our first cohort began in January 2019, students could barely speak English or use a computer. After two-and-a-half years they became advanced English speakers and began working remotely as software developers in European and US tech teams.
Rather than low-paid menial work, students have begun exciting careers and are thrilled to support their families, pay-forward the opportunity to more students, and accelerate the development of their nation (see ‘How Onja Works’ below).
Onja is located in Mahanoro, a quiet beach town on Madagascar’s East Coast. The campus has the feel of a nature retreat: on the outskirts of town, on the beach, and surrounded by nature while the town has several nice restaurants and everything you need to be comfortable.
Our small team is very united, committed to the mission, and hardworking, but we also maintain a relaxed and peaceful atmosphere that you’ll find everywhere in Madagascar.
About the Engineering Lead role
Your mission, as our Engineering Lead, is to lead our junior developers to career success helping them secure work and establish themselves professionally. You’ll be the key to helping them establish their careers: mentoring them on communication and professionalism while coaching them on the technical aspects of their work.
We see this role including
- Daily standups with your developers
- Unblocking/guiding developers
- Mentoring developers on communication, professionalism and some interview preparation
- Preparing and delivering short courses on communication, professionalism and technical subjects
- Collaborating with our Enterprise Growth Manager to evaluate open positions suitable for our developers and guidance on career development.
- Twelve month commitment (this ensures sufficient time to make a truly meaningful impact) with potential to renew/extend.
- Senior Software Engineering level
- Strong problem solving ability and a desire to help solve hard problems.
- You’ll need a real interest in leadership and motivating people to be the best they can be.
What you can expect
- You’ll join our tight-knit, committed team in Mahanoro, Madagascar.
- We know it’s a big move so we will look after you and make sure you are secure and settled.
- We’ll provide secure, comfortable, beachfront accommodation and food.
- We are able to offer a good local salary – enough to live comfortably and have plenty left over for holidays travels.
- 40 days of annual leave giving you time to explore the wonders of Madagascar.
- We also offer 25% remote work
- You will enjoy a truly Malagasy experience. Mahanoro is far from the tourist trail and our team is predominantly Malagasy. We’ll provide optional weekly lessons to bring you up to speed with the language.
- Your visa will be sponsored.
- Sponsored flights
We are ready for you now, however often people like time to prepare so we try to allow for three months from the time the contract is signed.
How Onja Works
Onja is a social enterprise with a sustainable model:
- Search for brilliant minds who would otherwise be limited to low-paid, unfulfilling careers.
- Students receive two years of English and software development instruction. Meet a developer here: https://onja.org/student/manjaka/
- Graduates earn (and continue learning) at our outsourcing enterprise.
- All profits are used to train the next wave of students and the cycle begins again.
- Apply – Please send a message to Sam at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you use LinkedIn, please include a link to your profile.
- Introductory call – We’ll provide you with a list of FAQs and a photo gallery and invite you to a call to learn about Onja and Madagascar in general. It’s a chance for you to ask all the questions you have.
- Formal Interview – This is where we have questions for you. We try to determine whether you will be a nice fit for the position and our team. There may be one or two interviews.
- We offer conversations with past and present staff members, Onja developers and a video tour of our campus.
- We make a formal offer to successful applicants.
If you like what we are doing, but don’t think you are suitable for this position, please reach out to us nonetheless – we may just have something for you.
Website: onja.org | Facebook: OnjaAfrica