Onja is a social enterprise training underprivileged youth into world-class software developers.
We find the brightest students in Madagascar who can’t afford to continue their education, and train them in English language and software development. After just two-and-a-half years they are ready to work as remote front-end software developers in international tech teams.
Once in a job, our developers earn a good salary that helps them support their families and pay forward the opportunity to a new wave of students. They unlock exciting careers that fulfil their potential, and accelerate the development of their nation (see ‘How Onja Works’ below).
Our first cohort, ‘Wave 1’, consists of nineteen talented and committed graduates who are now working remotely for our partner companies in Europe and the US. With this immensely successful first cohort, and a proven social model, our goal is now to scale our impact: we aim to take on 360 new students over the next four years.
Our fast-growing team is very united, committed to the mission, and hardworking, but we also maintain a relaxed and peaceful atmosphere that you’ll find everywhere in Madagascar.
Onja is located in Toamasina, a lively city with beautiful beaches, nice restaurants, and with plenty to do and see. Toamasina is Madagascar’s second largest city (population 300,000) yet is surrounded by plenty of natural beauty, and even has a national park nearby.
About the Engineering Lead role
Your mission, as our Engineering Lead, is to lead our junior developers to career success helping them secure work and establish themselves professionally. You’ll be the key to helping them establish their careers: mentoring them on communication and professionalism while coaching them on the technical aspects of their work.
We see this role including
- Daily standups with your developers
- Unblocking/guiding developers
- Mentoring developers on communication, professionalism and some interview preparation
- Preparing and delivering short courses on communication, professionalism and technical subjects
- Collaborating with our Enterprise Growth Manager to evaluate open positions suitable for our developers and guidance on career development.
- Twelve month commitment (this ensures sufficient time to make a truly meaningful impact) with potential to renew/extend.
- Senior Software Engineering level
- Strong problem solving ability and a desire to help solve hard problems.
- You’ll need a real interest in leadership and motivating people to be the best they can be.
What you can expect
- You’ll join our tight-knit, committed team in Toamasina, Madagascar.
- We know it’s a big move so we will look after you and make sure you are secure and settled.
- Secure, comfortable accommodation is provided
- Food is provided
- We are able to offer a good local salary – enough to live comfortably and have plenty left over for holidays travels.
- 40 days of annual leave giving you time to explore the wonders of Madagascar.
- We also offer 25% remote work
- We’ll provide optional weekly lessons to bring you up to speed with the language.
- Your visa will be sponsored.
- Sponsored flights
We are ready for you now, however often people like time to prepare so we try to allow for three months from the time the contract is signed.
How Onja Works
Onja is a social enterprise with a sustainable model:
- Search for brilliant minds who would otherwise be limited to low-paid, unfulfilling careers.
- Students receive two years of English and software development instruction. Meet a developer here: https://onja.org/student/manjaka/
- Graduates earn (and continue learning) at our outsourcing enterprise.
- All profits are used to train the next wave of students and the cycle begins again.
- Apply – Please send a message to our team at email@example.com. If you use LinkedIn, please include a link to your profile.
- Introductory call – We’ll provide you with a list of FAQs and a photo gallery and invite you to a call to learn about Onja and Madagascar in general. It’s a chance for you to ask all the questions you have.
- Formal Interview – This is where we have questions for you. We try to determine whether you will be a nice fit for the position and our team. There may be one or two interviews.
- We offer conversations with past and present staff members, Onja developers and a video tour of our campus.
- We make a formal offer to successful applicants.
If you like what we are doing, but don’t think you are suitable for this position, please reach out to us nonetheless – we may just have something for you.