Onja is a social enterprise training underprivileged youth into world-class software developers.
When our first cohort began in January 2019, students could barely speak English or use a computer. After two-and-a-half years they became advanced English speakers and began working remotely as software developers in European and US tech teams.
Rather than low-paid menial work, students have begun exciting careers and are thrilled to support their families, pay-forward the opportunity to more students, and accelerate the development of their nation (see ‘How Onja Works’ below).
Onja is located in Toamasina, a lively city with beautiful beaches, nice restaurants, and with plenty to do and see. Toamasina is Madagascar’s second-largest city (population 300,000) yet is surrounded by plenty of natural beauty and even has a national park nearby.
Our small team is very united, committed to the mission, and hardworking, but we also maintain a relaxed and peaceful atmosphere that you’ll find everywhere in Madagascar.
About the Accountant position
With an immensely successful first cohort and a proven social model, our next step is to scale our impact. In order to scale our organisation, we need to grow our team with capable and committed team members capable of pulling off rapid growth.
Your mission as our Accountant is to help our finance team to take care of all of the organization’s financial duties in order to maximize the growth and sustainability of Onja.
The following list is not exhaustive, but should give a good indication of the responsibilities of the role:
- Oversee, review, monitor, and manage, the organization’s finance function, including budgeting, reporting, payroll, payments, and invoicing our partner companies
- Coordinate payments of taxes and other legal obligations
- Prepare bank account reconciliation, and produce financial reports, cash-flow statements, and profit projections.
- Ensure a proper archiving system for the purchases and the receipts
- Attention to detail
- Comfortable with numbers
- Good communicator and professional
- English level B2+ minimum and advanced French
Experience or qualifications with accounting would be nice but may not be necessary.
How Onja Works
Onja is a social enterprise with a sustainable model:
- Search for brilliant minds who would otherwise be limited to low-paid, unfulfilling careers.
- Students receive two years of English and software development instruction. Meet a developer here: https://onja.org/student/manjaka/
- Graduates earn (and continue learning) at our outsourcing enterprise.
- All profits are used to train the next wave of students and the cycle begins again.
Please send a message to our team at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you use LinkedIn, please include a link to your profile or attach a CV. If you wish, you are very welcome to attach any other information that could help us know you better. Sometimes people share videos, achievements, transcripts, articles or blogs and these are much appreciated.